Sunday, May 10, 2009

Devotional of the Week May 10-16

Song of Solomon 6: 9

"My dove, my undefiled is but one; she is the only one of her mother, she is the choice one of her that bare her. The daughters saw her, and blessed her; yea, the queens and concubines, and they praised her."

What beautiful words of honor and praises to a mother-in-law! King Solomon was king over Israel, yet he appreciated the love and care that his mother-in-law had put into raising his now wife. He understood the importance of motherhood in raising well children, and he was grateful to his wife's mother for that. His wife was not only blessed by her mother, but was also blessed by other women because of the impact of her mother on her life.

Mothers, your job is an important one and should not be taken lightly. The future success of your children largely depends upon you. If it was not for the sense of discipline which my mother instilled in me from an early age, I don't know where I would be today. When I see my other brothers and sisters who were "spoiled" because they were more good looking, or because they had a father and mine was absent, and see how they did not do too well in life, I am thankful that my mother gave me what I needed to survive.

No comments: