Sunday, January 25, 2009
"For if ye love them which love you, what thank have ye? For sinners also love those that love them. And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye? For sinners also do even the same. And if ye lend to them of whom ye hope to receive, what thank have ye? For sinners also lend to sinners, to receive as much again. But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil. Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father also is merciful."
Being a child of God is no easy matter. As children of God we are called to go above and beyond the call of duty to our fellow man. We called not be ordinary people, but to be an extraordinary people, and to live a life that is noble and exemplary. It is however, only through God's empowerment that we can hope to achieve this high and exalted state. May we then continue to allow Him to lead us to greater and greater heights.
My goal for next week is to get below the 190 lb mark. I pray, and continue to pray for success in my endeavor, and for God's blessing and power to do this.
Sunday, January 18, 2009
Weigh in: 1/4/09 196.8 lbs start of program
1/11/09 191.2 lbs week 1
1/18/09 191.4 lbs week 2
Okay, so I did not lose any weight the end of the second week, but that could have been water weight from my period. It could also have been that my metabolism slowed down to match my decreased food intake. In any case, I am going to give my metabolism a big boost by switching to a fat burning diet (low carb) and doing fat burning exercises. Last week, I failed miserably to implement fat burning exercises, as I was soooo busy with work! I do move a lot and exercise on the job with patients, but those exercises are not fat burning. I need to take time out for myself and do what is right for me.
I must admit, losing the weight is not easy, as hormonal changes play a huge role in my weight, but I am willing to keep on fighting until I win. I feel motivated because year before last I was wearing a size 16, and weighed over 215 lbs. I now fit into sizes 12-14, and lost over 20 lbs and kept it off. I am determined not to use any weight loss drugs or surgery. My theory is that if I can gain control over my cravings, then I can control my weight. Wish me luck!
- He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
- I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
- Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.
- He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.
- Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day;
- Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.
- A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
- Only with thine eyes shalt behold and see the reward of the wicked.
- Because thou hast made the LORD, which is my refuge, even the most High, thy habitation;
- There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any plague come nigh thy dwelling.
- For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways.
- They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.
- Thou shalt tread upon the lion and adder: the young lion and the dragon shalt thou trample underfoot.
- Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name.
- He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: I will be with him in trouble; I will deliver him, and honour him.
- With long life will I satisfy him, and shew him my salvation.
On this historic day, we want to wish President-Elect Obama all that is good for his term in office. May he be blessed of God, and we pray that he will be a blessing to this country. We wish him all the best, as we look to him as the fulfillment of the dreams and hopes of Dr. Martin Luther King and many others. On this Dr. Martin Luther King holiday, let us remember the sacrifices made, so that we can enjoy today. Blessings, and peace to all.
Saturday, January 10, 2009
- I cried unto the LORD with my voice; with my voice unto the LORD did I make my supplication.
- I poured out my complaint before him; I shewed before him my trouble.
- When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, then thou knewest my path. In the way wherein I walked have they privily laid a snare for me.
- I looked on my right hand, and beheld, but there was no man that would know me: refuge failed me, no man cared for my soul.
- I cried unto thee, O LORD: I said, Thou art my refuge and my portion in the land of the living.
- Attend unto my cry; for I am brought very low; deliver me from my persecutors; for they are stronger than I.
- Bring my soul out of prison, that I may praise thy name: the righteous shall compass me about, for thou shalt deal bountifully with me.
The times that we share with family and friends are some of the best times ever, but even with the best of friends there is a limit as to what they can do for us. There are just some problems in life that friends or family, regardless of how much they love us, are powerless to help us with. It is during those rough times that we can rely on God to see us through. There is definitely no problem that is too big for God, for with Him nothing is impossible. So now, instead of despairing when it seems that no one can help, we should look to God and put our trust in Him.
Saturday, January 3, 2009
In my goal to achieve my ideal weight, I realized that in order to be successful, I must curb my appetite. Once the appetite is curbed, I can then go on a weight loss program that combines healthy eating with exercise to achieve my ideal weight. To begin the new year, I am entering into a period of prayer and fasting for one week to bring my resolution goals to God and to ask Him for in achieving those goals. You see, God is the key to any successful weight loss program. He can help us lose the weight and keep it off. He does this by giving us the much needed will power that is lacking, to stick with a program. I can definitely use His supernatural help!
My weight loss/health program will consist of three stages:
- Purge, rest and nourish
- Cleanse, support, and nourish, and
- Healthy living for life
The first two parts of the program is a detoxification process, where the body is rejuvinated by the removal of old, decaying, and toxic substances from the system. The third and last part of the program involves the implemenatation of healthy habits or can be used to launch a weight loss program. In any case, one will lose weight and become healthy at the end of this program.
Starting tomorrow, I will be entering into my fast. I have already take my herbal laxative tonight, so that I can start cleaning out my bowels from all the accumulation of food that I consumed over the Christmas season (both good and junk!). Those Christmas cookies and rum cakes were delicious, but I need this purge to re-boot my system, and get it back on track. By not eating breakfast and lunch I will be giving my digestive system a much needed rest from the constant snacking I engaged in over the holidays. I will still eat dinner, but only the most simple and wholesome foods, such as brown rice, fresh and steamed vegetables, fish and organic meats. It is so important during this stage that I do not clog up my system with unwholesome and unhealthy foods that slows down the digestive system such as white flour products, white rice, white sugar, and processed foods. The whole foods are not only very nourishing to the body, but they also assist in keeping the bowels moving, and thus assist with purging the system of residual and built up toxins.
While in this period of purge, fasting, and nourishment, I will not be doing any exercise, as I will use this time to not only rest my digestive organs but also my body from wear and tear. It is only through rest that the body is able to repair itself from the stresses that we place on it day to day. Proper rest is important for proper cell repair and rejuvenation.
Once my week of purge, fasting, and nourishment is over, I will be going to the next stage of cleanse, support, and nourish, that will incorporate exercise. For now, I just want to concentrate on the first stage and be successful.
"By faith Moses, when he was born, was hid three months of his parents, because they saw he was a proper child; and they were not afraid of the king's commandment. By faith Moses, when he was come to years, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter; choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season; esteeming the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures in Egypt: for he had respect unto the recompence of reward. By faith he forsook Egypt, not fearing the wrath of the king: for he endured, as seeing him who is invisible. Through faith he kept the passover, and the sprinkling of blood, lest he that destroyed the firstborn should touch them. By faith they passed through the Red sea as by dry land: which the Egyptians assaying to do were drowned. By faith the walls of Jericho fell down, after they were compassed about seven days. By faith the harlot Rahab perished not with them that believed not, when she had received the spies with peace."
God is looking for a few good men (and women) of faith who understand that it is only through faith in Him that we can face the challenges of the new year. Moses' parents, Moses, and Rahab all understood that if they placed their faith in God and His power to save, then everything would be all right. Are you facing challenges today? Are the problems of the past year still dogging you? Now is probably a good time as ever to renew your faith in God, and to look to Him to carry you through the year. May the God of peace be with each and everyone. Have a happy, healthy, and prosperous new year, filled with joy and peace.