Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Oldest Profession in the World is Good for You and Your Pocketbook

Yes, the oldest profession in the world is good for you and your pocketbook, but I am not talking about prostitution. I am talking about gardening. The first profession of man, according to the book of Genesis was gardening, "And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the garden of Eden to dress it and keep it" (Genesis 2:15).

Gardening not only saves you money, but it is also a good source of exercise. It is also a great way for us to show our stewardship of the earth which God has made and given to us. God's command to Adam and Eve was "Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it" (Genesis 1:28a).

Today I had a great time working in my flower garden pulling out weeds. I not only saved myself big bucks by not hiring a gardener to do this, but I also made my yard look more attractive, and got some exercise in at the same time! This was a three-for-the-price-of-one deal. If you a little piece of land in your backyard, then you can try your hand at either planting flowers or even vegetables. I have a two fruit trees also in my backyard (mangoes), and this year I got a bumper crop of mangoes which I am currently enjoying. I have not purchased fruit for weeks now since my mango crop has come in. I have been eating mango for breakfast, mango for lunch, and mango for dessert after dinner. Sounds like imbalanced eating but I eat other things too in addition to mango. I have also been giving away a lot of mangoes. Since the mango season started I have given away about 3 dozen mangoes. I have so much mango that I am now freezing mango slices, so I can eat mango during off season. Frozen mango is good for making homemade mango smoothies, and homemade mango icecream - delicious!

Do you want to recession-proof your food budget and still reap the benefits of exercise, and replenish the earth with food? Try gardening. Below is a link to a CNN article about more and more people turning to backyard gardening to supplement their food budgets in this tough economy.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/04/01/recession.garden/index.html?iref=newssearch

No comments: